The new weave
by Rose Crompton
MAIA two seat sofa by Kettal
Woven garden furniture is seeing a serious style shake-up this season. New designs amp up the drama with striking pattern and textures whilst making use of unusual materials such as marine rope, latex tubing and steel.
Pick one of these patterns and you’ll be sitting pretty all summer.
1. Kare Bahia iron and polyethylene chair, £250 from Oliver Bonas, www.oliverbonas.com
2. Flux red varnished steel by Magis, £211 from made in design, www.madeindesign.co.uk
3. Yellow latex from the Stretch Collection by Jessica Carnevale, $895 (£560) from Outdoorz Gallery, www.outdoorzgallery.com
4. Hogsten hand woven plastic rattan chair, £79 from Ikea, www.ikea.co.uk
5. Seat Talas, €300 (£250) from Flamant, www.flamant.com
6. Capri all weather rattan Chair, £325 from Next, www.next.co.uk
7. The Salma Cane Chair, £125 from Graham & Green, www.grahamandgreen.co.uk
8. Bitta Swing Rope Set, made from nylon based marine rope, prices start from £2,165 from Kettal, call 020 73715170 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for stockist details, www.kettal.es
Seats to share
Set a benchmark with these textural two- and three-seaters.
1. Conran Faulks solid teak sofa (comes with cushions), £999 from Marks & Spencer, www.marksandspencer.com
2. Rayne synthetic wicker outdoor sofa, £199 from John Lewis, www.johnlewis.com
3. Jamaica hand woven rattan three seat sofa by Sky-Line Designs, £1,938 from Skyline Outdoor Furniture, call 01926 816500, www.outdoorfurniture.uk.net
4. Sixties aluminium bench in Paprika/Saffron yellow by Fermob, £341 from Made In Design, www.madeindesign.co.uk
5. MAIA synthetic fibre weave two seat sofa in chestnut, prices from £2,999, also available in Bicolore (as above), pricing from £3,680 from Kettal, call 020 73715170 or email email@example.com for stockists, www.kettal.es
6. Malaysia water resistant lattice weave garden bench, £195 from Graham & Green, www.grahamandgreen.co.uk
No colour necessary thanks to the drama of these designs.
1. Ammero table and four Vasman steel frame chairs dining set, £255 from Ikea, www.ikea.co.uk (not available online)
2. Enholmen table and four chairs aluminium and plastic, £325 from Ikea, www.ikea.co.uk (not available online)
3. Vanilla synthetic rattan with vertical weave round outdoor dining set with two armchairs, £597 from John Lewis, www.johnlewis.com
4. Biscayne wicker six seat set, £498 from Tesco Direct, www.tesco.com/direct
5. Emu Heaven woven steel dining table with a smoke grey glass top and four chairs, £2141 from Heal’s, www.heals.co.uk
6. The Matrix synthetic open weave rectangular dining set, from Hartman, available as a six seater £999.99 or eight seater £1159.99 and price includes a solar parasol and base. From Hartman. Visit www.hartmanuk.com to find local stockists
Weave in a touch of the trend with a few well-chosen accessories.
1. Colour jute rope Coil pots, prices range from £28 to £168 depending on size from Anthropologie, http://www.anthropologie.eu/en/uk/page/home/
2. Rayne syntheitc wicker planters (set of two), £99 from John Lewis, www.johnlewis.com
3. The Federico lattice iron lantern, £52 from Graham & Green, www.grahamandgreen.co.uk
4. Wire bird in dark green, £5.99 from Crocus, www.crocus.co.uk
5. Tealight holder with knitted coat, £81.30 from made In design, www.madeindesign.co.uk
6. Footstool Gardino, €365 (£300) from Flamant, www.flamant.com
7. Eglo energy saving Shuko outdoor light with beige fabric lining, £177.84 from KES Lighting, www.keslighting.co.uk
8. Wicker wood Mushroom Garden Ornament, £6.99 from The Front Room, www.thefrontroomuk.com